Homeless Stranger

Homeless Stranger



It’s 8:30 in the morning in the downtown core of the beautiful city of Halifax, Nova Scotia. The sky is trickling a gentle rain on the skin of my face, and I welcome it. It’s refreshing in the unseasonably warm weather we’re getting in February. I’m on my way to work, but I stop for my usual cup of latte at the Starbucks store just two corners down from my office. I notice him as I push my way into the store; he’s occupying his usual spot on the curb just below the traffic light. It’s the same homeless man of every morning – a figure of my daily routine now. A constant. So why did something tickle me this time?


I buy my coffee, this time adding a blueberry bar to go with it, and try to ignore that tickle at the back of my head. Walking out, I make it a point to ignore him too, because I don’t have any cash on me, as usual. I’m so paperless about money like that. And just when I’ve crossed the street to the other side from him, it hits me that he looks especially drawn, like he is being pinched by hunger more than usual this morning. There’s also a sagging in his shoulders that wasn’t there before; a posture of hopelessness that made me look over at him one last time before plodding on to the office building. I hesitate for just a second, do I stop and talk to him? I can ask him if he’d like breakfast, since I can’t offer any change. But I don’t stop. I enter the building and the day goes as usual.


One hour later, I decide to work up the courage to engage the stranger in a conversation. I psyche myself up and think, “What the hell, if I look stupid, then I look stupid.” But when I hit the corner he’s not there. Gone. And with him the chance to do what I knew was the right thing to do, but did not do it. Because I hesitated. Because I didn’t want to come out weird and get embarrassed. Chicken shit.


I always say communication is key to the human race’s evolution, but really how communicative are we? How many other people felt the same tickle I felt towards this homeless stranger, and did nothing? It was my responsibility as a human being to stop and make contact with him and ask genuinely if all was well. I know this will haunt me for some time, that nagging feeling that I could’ve made a difference, but missed the chance. And worse, that he may have been in desperate need of help, and never got it. I hope he’s fine. I hope someone else stepped up to it and helped him. I want to be that someone else the next time.

Comments

  1. You do realise it is a way he makes money to support a drug habit? Many of the "homeless" in Halifax are not. Many are mentally ill and live in support homes . If you want to make a difference go to your local government official ask for changes - it was these changes made by previous government officials who pushed these people from institutions to support homes. Support homes in which these individuals can come and go as they please on their "day pass" to sit on the most heavy foot traffic streets to panhandle.

    Then there are the others who are mentally ill due to their drug habits and refuse help all they want is to feed the habit. Those who are actually homeless have services available to them if they need help but there are rules. Not everyone on the street is willing to abide by them.

    You romanticizing about human interaction - you need to realise Halifax is both beautiful and dangerous.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Ghost

Nuna from Nunaland

My Ancestors, My Power